Monday, August 3, 2009

No Pasta Lasagna Bake



As time goes on, you may notice a lack in pasta dishes. This is not because I do not like it, but we just simply so not eat much of it. Every now and then I may whip up a bowl of pasta salad or some sort of orzo dish, but that's about all. Nevertheless, i love lasagna, but sometimes, I just don't feel like carrying all of the carbs that come along with the pasta portion of it. So, I enjoy this dish in which i lovingly call it my "no pasta lasagna". It's made up of layers of seasoned veggies and cheese then baked until golden brown and bubbly!



No Pasta Lasagna Bake
2 Zucchinis OR 1 eggplant, sliced (i myself prefer eggplant)
Grated Parmesean
Black Pepper
Salt
1 Egg
1 C. Italian Bread Crumbs
2 C. All Purpose Flour
Canola or Vegetable Oil for Frying

Combine your flour and your breadcrumbs in a large bowl and set aside. Season your zucchini or eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Dip each one into your egg. Place slices in your flour mixture and make sure both sides of all of your zucchini or eggplant is covered with flour and bread crumbs. Fry your zucchini or eggplant until golden brown. Place on a baking sheet and generously sprinkle with grated parmesean.

1 Crown of Broccoli: Cut and season your broccoli with a bit of salt and let steam in a bit of warm water. Remove broccoli once tender and toss in 1tbsp butter.

Baby Portobella Mushrooms: Slice your desired amount of mushrooms and set aside

2 Small Yellow Squash: Slice and season with salt, pepper, and grated parmesean cheese and set aside.

The Sauce
I love to use Barillas Marinara sauce. It's absolutely perfect straight out of the jar...good stuff indeed!

Ground Turkey: Season 1 lb. of ground turkey meat with the following and cook until done. Add your sauce after meat has cooked fully:
1 tsp. Fennel Seeds
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp. Grated Parmesean
1 Tbsp. Dried Basil
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Thyme
1 Tbsp. Marsala Wine
1 Large Pinch of Sage
1 C. Barillas Marinara Sauce

The Cheese
1 C. Cottage Cheese
3 C. Shredded Mozarella
1/4 C. Grated Parmesean

The Layers
Spray your baking dish with a little non-stick spray and layer as follows:
Fried zuchinni or eggplant
Cottage Cheese
1 C. Mozarella
Broccoli
1 C. Mozarella
Ground Turkey
Mushrooms
Squash
1 C. Mozarella
Parmesean Cheese

Bake your dish until your cheese becomes bubbly and golden brown. Let cool. Pour a bit of your sauce onto your plate and then place a portion of the lasagna on top. Serve with extra sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I am SO inspired to do MORE in the kitchen. I'm a newlywed and I try really hard to eat well, but I regularly find that boredom creeps in, then I'm tired of my redundant menu. This blog is motivation at its best. Here's to good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is exactly what I need this week. I am gifted with zucchini and squash weekly by my boss. I run out of ideas for how to use it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this dish last night and it was delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete